RFA: Uyghur Businessman Dies Following Heart Attack in Xinjiang Political ‘Re-education Camp’

A Uyghur businessman has died after suffering a heart attack while detained in a political “re-education camp” in northwest China’s Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region, according to sources.

Yaqup Rozi, believed to be in his mid-40s, died “during the last week of March” this year, a source with knowledge of the situation recently told RFA’s Uyghur Service, speaking on condition of anonymity.

Rozi, who regularly conducted business in neighboring Kyrgyzstan, traveled to his home in Suntagh township’s Shoroq village, outside of Atush (in Chinese, Atushi) city in the XUAR’s Kizilsu Kirghiz (Kezileisu Keerkezi) Autonomous Prefecture, in early 2017 at the behest of local authorities, the source said, adding that his passport had been confiscated on his return.

A month later, Rozi was summoned to the local police station for interrogation, but then released, and a month after that, police raided his home in the middle of the night, taking him away with a black hood over his head, according to the source.

His family later learned that he was detained in the XUAR’s network of political “re-education camps,” where up to 1.5 million Uyghurs and other Muslim ethnic minorities accused of harboring “strong religious views” and “politically incorrect” ideas have been held since April 2017.

The source said that authorities did not provide a reason for Rozi’s detention, although it is believed that he was targeted for traveling abroad to a country blacklisted by authorities for travel by Uyghurs due to the perceived threat of religious extremism.

After Rozi died last month, authorities refused to release his remains to his family members, who were only allowed to observe as a state-appointed religious cleric washed his body and prepared it for burial according to Islamic tradition, the source added.

Officers at the neighboring Kattay village and Atush city police departments both told RFA they had no information to provide when asked about Rozi’s death, before hanging up.

But an officer at the Suntagh township police department confirmed that Rozi had died at a local hospital as the result of “myocardial arrest,” or a heart attack.

“According to what I know, his body was brought from the hospital … because they couldn’t save him,” the officer said, adding that Rozi had originally been brought for medical treatment from detention.

Comments are closed.